Sunday, March 22, 2009

Recycling Milestone - Solid Waste Less Than Recyclables

On the right in the picture is the total amount of trash I put out for pickup on Friday. On the left are two recycling bins containing paper of all kinds, cardboard, cans, and plastic bottles. The volume of recyclables is greater than the amount of trash or solid waste. I've been looking forward to the day I could say this, and it's a milestone I'm proud to have achieved.

It didn't come easily. I had to set up a system to collect all the paper that could be recycled. Then I had to do the same for all the cans. The cardboard boxes like those used for breakfast cereal were next. They are collected and broken down so they're flat. I crush all the plastic bottles and cans I can to make them all fit in the recycling container. Finally, it helps to drink enough beer to provide cans enough to make a difference.

With this system in place and the family members all properly trained, I'm hoping there will be many more days like Friday where solid waste is less than recyclables.

Let me know if you have solid waste less than recyclables days.

No comments: