Saturday, February 05, 2011

Open Letter to Governor Scott


Dear Governor Scott:

I am a resident of Central Florida.  I did not vote for you and do not support your actions thus far as governor.  I think the way you bought the election was an obscene abuse of the power of the almighty dollar.  You are, however, my elected state governor, and I have some things to say to you.

I support commuter rail and high speed rail.  I think they will be an extremely positive addition to our transportation alternatives here in Central Florida.  I also think they should be subsidized by state and local government and I’m willing to pay the taxes necessary to do so.  I urge you to complete your review of these projects and move ahead with them.  I urge you to work with local government to find permanent, stable funding for transit and alternative transportation of all forms:  high speed rail, commuter rail, light rail, trolley, bus rapid transit, bus, para-transit and active transportation - biking and walking.  Shifting users to these alternative transportation modes will relieve congestion, reduce hydrocarbon fuel consumption, decrease polluting emissions, save money, bolster our economy, encourage smart growth development, and promote healthier lifestyles.

The State of Florida is not a sick business corporation in need of a hatchet-wielding turn-around manager.  Florida is a political entity organized by the people and for the people.  It is run by our elected representatives who we expect to do the best they can to intelligently and openly carry out the will of those they represent.  And that includes ALL the people, not just the small number that voted for you.  We expect our governor to lead not only by actions but by example.  Finally, we expect our governor to be as we strive to be, humble, caring, open and respectful of the needs and views of others.

I hope that over time you will come to realize that you cannot run the State of Florida like a business.  It must be run like the great political institution that it is, with its leaders recognizing, respecting and caring for the needs of its citizens, and setting examples that others will be proud to emulate.

Sincerely,

William Carpenter
 
Winter Springs, Florida

No comments: